How to Use the Jazz Society Calendar
The calendar is accessible from any browser or smartphone at jazzoregon.com/events. Once you are on the calendar page, you can create a browser bookmark, or you can add it to your smartphone home screen by clicking the Share icon, then the Add to Home Screen icon.
There are two options under the Calendar menu:
- Events Calendar–this option brings up the jazz calendar showing all the events for the current month in calendar format. Specific features of this calendar are described in more detail below.
- Events by Venue–this option shows a list of all the venues in the calendar database in alphabetical order. If you click on one of them, you will get detailed address, website and contact information on the venue, a Google map, and a list of all the upcoming events for that venue.
Here are a few hints on the less obvious features of the calendar view:
- View As–You can choose whether to view a monthly calendar, an event list, or just today’s events by selecting from the drop down menu under View As at the top of the calendar. In the list and day views, the default is today’s date, but you can set a specific month or day in the date box (leftmost control at the top of the calendar).
- Artist Search–If you want to find out where your favorite artist is playing, just enter his or her name in the Search box at the top of the calendar. Don’t forget to clear the search field if you want to return to seeing all events.
- Search Nearby–Maybe you want to stay close to home. In that case, enter your zip code into the Near box to see events and venues near you. Or you can select the View as Map option to see events on a Google map along with a list.
In general, wherever you see an event or venue, you can click on the event or venue name to get additional detail. On the event details page, you’ll also notice a couple of buttons that say +Google Calendar and +ICAL Export. Click on one of these to insert an event directly into your Google or iPhone calendar.
NOTE: Calendar submissions must be received by the 20th of the month to be included in the next issue of JazzScene magazine.